20 Interesting Facts About MiamiMarch 29, 2021
20 interesting facts about Miami
- Miami was named after the Indian tribe Mayaimi, which means “big water”. The tribe resided in Lake Mayaimi (now Lake Okeechobee) until the 17th or 18th century.
- According to data from the United Nations, Miami was the fifth densest urban area in the U.S. in 2000, with a population of slightly less than five million people. Remarkably, in 2008 the number increased to more than 5.2 million, making it the fourth largest urbanized area in the United States (after New York, Los Angeles and Chicago).
- There are more than 800 parks in Miami. It is the only city in the United States that has borders with two separate national parks – Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park.
- Miami is the only major city in America that was founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle).
- Miami is the largest cruise ship port in the world.
- In terms of GDP, Miami is ranked 20th city in the world, and 11th in the United States.
- According to Architecture and Design Almanac, Miami Downtown Panorama has the 19th most impressive view in the world, and the third in the United States (after New York and Chicago).
- TV production studios like Univisión, Telemundo, and TeleFutura are headquartered in Miami, making it the main Hispanic television center.
- As of 2000, data shows that more than 66% of Miami residents’ primary language is Spanish – making it one the most difficult places in America to work or do business without learning the foreign language.
- Miami is the number one city in the U.S. where residents (74%) speak a language other than English at home.
- In 2009, Miami hosted more than 12 million visitors.
- Miami was known to be favored by pirates. Famous pirates like Gasparilla, Blackbeard, and Jean Lafitte frequently came to Miami to bury their treasures. During their visits, people have found gold, silver, and jewelry underground and underwater.
- Miami Beach is the suburbs of Miami.
- Miami Beach was merely a swampy marsh before construction began in the 1920’s.
- In 1979 Art Deco Historic District in Miami Beach was included in the National Registry of Historic Places. The Art Deco District is the largest collection of Art Deco architecture in the world, and includes more than 800 buildings constructed between 1923 and 1943.
- Miami Beach is also called “American Riviera”.
- The first tanning lotion was invented in 1944 by Miami Beach pharmacist, Benjamin Green.
- Italian fashion designer, Gianni Versace, was murdered in Miami Beach.